Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point is a management system in which food safety is addressed through the analysis and control of biological, chemical, and physical hazards from raw material production, procurement and handling, to manufacturing, distribution and consumption of the finished product. HACCP includes a wide range of measures that are designed to prevent problems before they occur and for correcting deviations through a systematic way promptly and as soon as they are detected.
These preventive control systems with documentation and verification are recognized widely by scientific authorities and international organizations as the most effective approach towards producing safe food. Further it also enables the producers, processors, distributors, exporters of food products to effectively and efficiently utilize technical resources for assuring complete food safety.
Benefits of HACCP standard are:
- Helping in identifying process improvements using HACCP.
- Reducing the need for, and the cost of end product testing.
- Complementary to quality management systems such as ISO 9000.
- Assists in providing evidence of due diligence.
- Reduces the chances of product recall & adverse publicity.
- Further enhances customer satisfaction.
- Facilitates better & complete understanding of food packaging safety issues throughout the organization.
- Brings improvements in staff’s performance through the promotion of team spirit.
- Improves staff morale and motivation through a cleaner & healthier working environment.